February 6, 2012

Black★Rock Shooter 01: First Impressions


Girls wielding highly dangerous weapons . . . that's what I'm talking about! ;)

I was expecting a little more of this episode though. Compared to the OVA, this first episode was a lot like any other slice of life. It had more drama and comical relief this time, but I would have managed without the humor. I also didn't find any reason to connect with the characters or care for them at all. For example, the fact that Mato and Takanashi have to once again meet was a bore. That heartwarming feeling was not there anymore. Their friendship was moving too fast and I would have preferred it continue onto the next episode, but 8 episodes doesn't give you much time, so I can't expect it to slow down.

Other than that, the action was pretty bad ass. I enjoyed the character designs and the dangerous weapons. The villain was creepier than ever, but who I really look forward to seeing is Yuu. She is probably going to be the bestest, toughest, coolest looking opponent since she has already appeared in this episode as a friend of Mato's. Plus, I like that their battle ground/other world dimension or whatever reminds me of Madoka's world. I think BRS can easily pass as a magical girl, no?


[Image Source: Pixiv]

8 comments:

  1. I never watched the OVA so I can't say that it was a bore or that it went too fast. I think for those that have not watched the OVA it was pretty straightforward and inviting as a new series. I think this one episode alone made me more confused and wtf? than all the current episodes of Another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense. I guess the anime wouldn't be so different for those who haven't seen the OVA. The OVA is good though. I recommend you watch it.

      LOL. You just reminded me. I need to watch the latest episode of Another :O

      Delete
  2. Been waiting this for so long. Finally it is out. The story is good. What is lacking is the real world animation, it is a bit you know...meh.. But the alternative world animation is something else. It was awesome and I can't wait to see more of it. More battles next week! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah those battle scenes are BAAAD! I wouldn't mind watching the anime just for the action.

      Delete
  3. I liked the battle scenes too, but I thought the schoolgirl parts took up too much time. If the anime focused purely on BRS, I'd be one happy fan.

    I do think that BRS could be considered a mahou shoujo since she has some magical powers and is a girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I both...lets ban the slice of life and make BRS an honorary magical girl XD

      Delete
  4. Ahh so it's finally out. I really enjoyed the OVA, so I'll be watching this. I'm a bit surprised that it has comic reliefs and stuff though. The OVA gave a pretty calm collected vibe in terms of tone. But I guess as a series, it needs to be more varied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. I was expecting it to be more calm and collected, prob that's why. T^T

      Delete

A comment, for me? You shouldn't have :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...